The BA committees shall be appointed for the preparation and consideration of issues which are of interest to the Baltic Assembly.
The tasks of the committees shall be to consider the issues which fall within their sphere and are of interest to the members of the national delegations and the BA member states, to work out joint positions on such issues, and to consider and prepare for adoption at sessions the documents which have been referred to them by the Presidium.
Each member of the national delegation may be a member of one standing committee and, additionally, a member of the Budget and Audit Committee or of the Drafting Committee. Each national delegation shall appoint its members to BA committees in compliance with the principle of equal representation of the national delegations in the committees and, as far as possible, by taking their interests into account.
Meetings of a standing committee shall be held one to three times a year. Members of BA national delegations, representatives of the governments and experts may be invited to attend committee meetings. Decisions of a committee shall be adopted by consensus of the committee members who attend the meeting. In the event of failure to reach a consensus, the chairman of the committee may refer the issue to the Session for consideration.
There are the following standing committees of the Baltic Assembly:
- Economics, Energy and Innovations Committee
- Education, Science and Culture Committee
- Natural Resources and Environment Committee
- Legal Affairs and Security Committee
- Welfare Committee
- Budget and Audit Committee*
* As a result of BA structural reforms, the BA Budget and Audit Committee ceased to be a standing committee as of the 23rd BA Session on 17-19 December 2004. According to the amendments, the Session shall approve the composition of the Budget and Audit Committee and, when necessary, change its composition upon the recommendation of a national delegation.For dealing with specific issues, the Session of the Baltic Assembly may set up ad hoc committees, defining their composition, scope and term of authority, and the procedure for reporting on their activities.
Archive: Facts on committees 2002-2007